Friday, September 4, 2009

Big Island Weather Report

Weather patterns change so rapidly here on the east side of Hawai‘i Island.

This morning as I drove up to the land, after dropping Bodhi off at school, the sky was a glorious blue. As I turned off Highway 11 onto the winding North Ala heading up to our place, Mauna Kea opened up before me. Often the top of Mauna Kea is hidden behind clouds, but this morning, the sky was so clear, I could see the obervatories dotting the crown of the majestic mountain. After only about an hour of working on the land, it started pouring on me for about an hour and then the sky went blue again for an hour and then it poured again.

Jim and I built the small little structure that will sit on the roof of the cabin and hold our small water tank in place. It'll be a basic water catchement system with a gravity feed. I'm excited. Jim has been so patient and thorough with me in explaining the building process. He told me a story today about when he was younger and worked on a building site in Alabama. He said that the boss at this work site was often mean and whatever he said was the law. So the boss would call out for something like, "Get me a 2x4!" Jim would look and look around the site for the 2x4 and have to cower back to the boss and let him know they were out of 2x4s. The boss would look crossly at Jim and command, "Well you better eat some saw dust and shit me out a 2x4 then!" I'm glad that when we run out of building material, I just have to go to Home Depot.

Kim stayed at home in Hilo today because she wasn't feeling well. She had a slight sore throat, a small fever, and a little sinus congestion. It was really good that she got to stay home and rest and recuperate. We thought that because it's been quite a ride the last few weeks of moving, saying goodbyes and settling in here on the Big Island, that her immune system was a little compromised. But of course we know that things often go deeper than that. When I got home with Bodhi this afternoon, Kim was still not feeling all that great so I went to Abundant Life to get her a Neti pot so she could flush out her sinuses. When I got back from that errand, her head was pounding. She laid down so that I could massage her head and neck. As I began to work on her, tears began to build around her eyes and flow down the sides of her cheeks. Bodhi was there and he saw his mommy begin to cry and sweetly got a tissue and dabbed the tears away, and began to tell Kim what we always tell him when he gets in a crying state, "Breath, breath, breath." Kim followed his advice and began to consciously follow her breath and more tears flowed. It's like we always say, "Better out than in." It was good to see Kim release whatever was in there. After a few minutes of this Kim came to the realization that she truly, deeply, and wholeheartedly missed her friends on O‘ahu. She had been holding that in and it needed to come out. The headache went away.

We've been experiencing so much tremendous joy here on the Big Island, but sometimes the clouds loom on the horizon and a heavy rain is needed to cleanse the land and make things green.

Weather report for the Big Island--Sunny skies with scattered showers here and there.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Andrew,

    I truely enjoy reading your writing. What a gifted way to express your feelings and telling us what goes on your new life. It is as if I am reading a good book and watching reality TV at the same time :-)

    Give my love to Kim and Bodhi,

    Gladys

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the best Andrew!!! I knew it the instant Kim introduced me to you, it makes me so happy to see the beautiful relationship you two have built over the years, you inspire me constantly, thank you for your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we miss you all wholeheartedly, so much...so many emotions on my end as well. much love, lisa

    ReplyDelete