Thursday, October 29, 2009

Monkey and Me

Thinking can be dangerous.

This has been our second week of project free living. It has been lovely. A lot of time to talk, to read, to take Bodhi out to play. The weather has been beautiful, rainy nights that keep the catchment full and sunny days that keep us going swimming----because ya gotta be outside when the sun is shinning.

We've been able to have a lot of much needed quiet time---and there in lies the danger. When you are busy with "to do's" it is much easier to keep a leash on your monkey mind. Andrew took Bodhi to school this morning, so I was alone as I finished the morning chores. I did the dishes and a little fuzz control. I am happy to report that I have surrendered to the fact that mold is all around and that I have to just work with it. The toys are holding up, just a few had mold spots, which I wiped off with alcohol and our dinning room table will be refinished soon--that is the best I can do. I have learned acceptance about the mold and acceptance is always a good lesson.

It was beautifully quiet and peaceful as I swept, yet I was nervous. I was having an, "Oh shit, what have we done?" moment---on a small, slightly unconscious scale. I have been having these thoughts the past few days---my monkey has apparently gnawed through her leash in search of bananas.

"What have we done?", my mind whispers. "Why did you give up the security and certainty that you had going for you on O'ahu?" "Why did you buy the land?" "What would your life be like now if you hadn't spent Lois' gift on the land?" My mind wanders, imagines scenarios in which we stayed on O'ahu, kept Andrew's job and Lois' money or moved to Portland or Europe. The monkey is bouncing around it's cage in my head screeching---"what if you didn't make the best choice with this move????"

And then I think about Andrew. My husband has fingerprints!!!! His eczema is almost gone. I can't stress to you how major this is. He has been in some level of pain for years. His hands would get so bad that they would crack open and bleed. And then there was his hacking cough and slight high blood pressure. All from stress. And ALL gone! I am also feeling physically better too. I am losing weight, like Andrew, and on the whole feeling much more at peace. I think about the fact that Andrew and I get to spend every day together. I think about how we are putting down roots and creating something magical for Bodhi.

I also think about the flow. Andrew and I have been committed, for some time now, to paying attention to and going with what seems to be flowing the easiest in our lives. The land purchase came about easily and effortlessly and so has the move over. We were blessed by Lois with the money, then blessed by Jim with the land, then blessed by Karen with a place to stay while we got settled, and then blessed by Jim again with the cabin. Abundant flow.

Now we are blessed by the time to be open and to allow our next moves to reveal themselves.
This is where my monkey sometimes gets loose. I am pretty good at keeping her caged, but clearly I still have fears. We have a few months left until we absolutely need to have some income flow. The clarity is coming, as to what we want to do to create income, and that is good. Now I just need to continue having the faith we need to resist swimming upstream. I know my job is to decide what I want and it is the universe's job to figure out the how. I just need to get out of the way. I need to breathe through any fear I may have, continue to hold good emotional vibrations and be willing to float. Float with the currents.

I will tell my monkey that there is no lack of abundance. She can have all the bananas she wants and I will build her a comfortable boat so that she can float with me on the peaceful and supportive currents of the universe.

1 comment:

  1. I have struggled with anxiety or my "monkey mind" all my life. Even my earliest memories hold stress. Now that I have wiped the slate clean and am engaging in my "new" life and fully celebrating my "mid-life awakening" I still find those same anxieties creeping in but now I don't have financial or job insecurities so my mind chooses to focus on something happening to one my kids..anything it can find to bite into and cause me pain. I have employed a new method for dealing with this anxiety and that is what I call my "restore to default" button. I am a computer programmer so I often think in programming terms and so "restore to default" basically means to restore my soul to it's factory settings, back to when I was just born and didn't have to worry about anything, back to where I existed for my own joy, when my only responsibility was to learn and grow. I find that sometimes I have to mentally push the "restore to default" button 4 or 5 times in a row to really get there but it's helping! I find that my joy starts to return, I can literally feel my soul relaxing, like when you don't realize you shoulders are tense and then you relax and feel your arms drop and you take a deep breath and feel 1000 lbs. lighter!! Your post made me think about this because I think about YOU ALL the time. Thinking about you and Andrew immediately helps me "restore to default" because I so admire your courage and your commitment to your own enlightenment. You are inspiring me constantly! Don't doubt yourself my sister, you are a goddess and you are reigning over your spot of earth and giving your son a magical existence and teaching him what it REALLY means to be alive. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete