Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The In-Between Space

I woke up this morning at Cory and Stephanie's place.  They have been both generous and gracious enough to let us stay in their gorgeous apartment in the downstairs area of their beautiful home in Alewa Heights.  Down the road sits our old house that over the past seven years, Kim and I grew into a family.  It was the longest place we had lived in as a married couple.  My son was born there--right over the toilet in the bathroom.  He took his first steps there and basically went from being an infant to a full fledged boy.  It's the only house he's ever known.  
This morning as I stared out the window at Cory and Stephanie's place, I could see cars driving up "snake" road on the Kamehameha Schools Campus.  All my old colleagues reporting back for duty.  I think today is the first day for new invitees and 9th graders.  I think about my years at Kamehameha and I am so glad that I left feeling good about my time there, rather than feeling like--"Eff this place!  I'm outta here!"  I will miss the friends I made on campus.  
So now I sit in this in-between place.  The home we lived in for seven years is behind us.  I am in between income producing activities with no real sense of what that will be.  I am floating in mid air waiting for the net to appear.  

1 comment:

  1. Andrew, we are also leaving our home. It's the home I have owned for 10 years and raised my kids in. It's the home that saw the hearbreak of my divorce and the birth of my new love. It's the home that sheltered my sister and her children when they were displaced. It's the home I have lived in the longest since the home I was raised in. I truly understand the place you are in. We have one month to pack up and head North to Portland in time to get our kids in school. I am very grateful for your words because they resonate so much with me. I am so happy that I have reconnected with you and Kim, you are both very special to me.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete