Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Leap

I'm going to the woods because I, like Thoreau, wished to live deliberately. But unlike Thoreau I have a wife, a three year old child a house full of furniture and two Volvos. All the stuff and the cars need to get packed onto a Young Brother's barge. We, the people, will follow on a Hawaiian Air flight a few days later.
Compared to most Americans we really don't have a lot of stuff. Over the years we've really simplified our living situation. But this move we're making is really taking it a step further. My wife and I bought ten acres of blank ag land in the Ola‘a Forest Reserve on the Big Island of Hawai'i. This place is completely off the grid. For the first year we'll be living in our friend's cabin(no electricity, no running water) on a neighboring property while we build our own house. My wife and I have no building skills and no farming skills, but we're confident we can learn. We joked with our friend that sold us the land that he sold the land to the two urbanites from that old tv series, "Green Acres".
So here we go to the District of Puna on the Big Island, a place of rugged roads and unpaved people. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I am SO excited for you both!! Thank you for starting this blog, I am really honored to get to witness this huge transformation! I love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete